Monday, June 23, 2008

Havasupai, AZ - June 2008

On June 17th I took a group of Young Women to Girl's Camp. This year we went to Havasupai, AZ. Our group included 9 girls (ages 12-18) and 7 adults (who's ages I won't share.) It took about 9 hours to drive there from Ramona. The hike is 10 miles from the hilltop parking lot to the campground where we stayed. It goes down the side of the cliff and then through some beautiful red cliff canyons. We spent the first night in the parking lot and then stayed 2 nights in Havasupai. We arrived home late on the 20th.

This picture was taken as soon as we arrived in the parking lot at the top of the trail for the hike. The trail goes right down from where they are standing.
From right to left: Courtney, Krista, Bree, Ashley, Michelle, Erin, Kim, Meagan and Beth.

Here is a picture of our Young Women. They were such troopers. It was hot (even though we started the hike at 4:45am to avoid some heat) and it was dusty. But they really didn’t complain. They just did it!

We hired six mules to carry some of our heavy equipment (tents, food, cooking equipment.) These mules go up in groups of about six to fifteen. There is a lead mule and the rest follow him up with a cowboy bringing up the rear. They basically jog all the way - quite impressive. The lead mule will actually stop and wait until his group catches up to him.

Near the end of a dusty trail after about 9 ¾ miles, we saw this view as we hiked down to the campground. What a refreshing sight it was to see! This is Havasu Falls. After we put our gear down we went back to this waterfall and enjoyed a cool swim and relaxed in the shade.

I left my hiking shoes at home. Luckily, I had invested in some good water/hiking sandals. I wore them the entire hike and didn’t get a single blister. They really are black, but with all the powder-fine sand, they look more of an orangey tan.

This is a picture of Dad and me on the way to Mooney Falls. This was the first time that Dad and I had ever been on a campout without other family members.

This was taken down stream from Mooney Falls. We took our lunch along with us and stayed for several hours exploring down river from the main falls. There was a spot with a rope swing and a cave that we spent a lot of time playing at (just up stream of this waterfall.)

We found a spot with a natural shower where the water cascaded down. Good thing we had brought along our biodegradable soap! We enjoyed this beautiful spot and also got to clean up and wash our hair.

This is a picture of our group climbing out from the canyon where Mooney Falls is located. The climb out wasn’t nearly as terrifying to me as the climb in was. It was very steep and there where spots where we had to cling to chains and rebar. That was probably my least favorite part of the whole trip – but it was worth it to play in such a breathtaking place.

Here I am! I had just finished the hike out. We left our camp at 3:45 in the morning and hiked 10 miles while the sun was coming up and the day was getting hotter by the minute. It was really tough but I was still able to smile at the end! What a fantastic trip it was. I don’t think I will ever forget it and I don’t think the other people who went along will either. I’d like to go back in a few years when the kids are older. I know Chad and the kids will love the experience as much as I did.

2 comments:

Mama Barnes said...

Wow Kaarin.. That looks like quite the experience. I am anxious to be able to do things like that again when we return home. I especially enjoyed the pictures of the falls.
I grew up going to Lake Havasu so it was nice to know there are falls or the same name. I think I would like to visit the area in April. You are a trooper to go in the heat of the summer.
Kathy Barnes
PS Loved the family picture

Anonymous said...

I thought there were Indians down there - but I don't see a single one. Were they on vacation? I hear that is one of Tom Cruse's favorite places to go - any celeb sightings(besides the mule)?